Microsoft recently announced the end of Support for SQL Server 2008, 2008 R2 as of 9th July 2019. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlreleaseservices/end-of-mainstream-support-for-sql-server-2008-and-sql-server-2008-r2/
These products will no longer receive security updates, opening systems to a range of risks.
Organizations should start planning the upgrade now to ensure smooth business operations.
Microsoft SQL Server and other workloads on AWS
- AWS offers you a secure, scalable and efficient platform to run your windows and SQL server workloads.
- Leverage the latest hardware and technology powered by AWS infrastructure.
- Enable high availability for applications and databases.
- Choose the version/edition that is appropriate for you.
- AWS provides license-included choices or brings your own license.
- Choice of running it on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) or Amazon relational database Service (Amazon RDS).
- SQL Server on Amazon EC2 gives you complete control over each setting, just like when it’s installed on-premises.
- SQL server RDS is fully managed database service provided by AWS. It lets you focus on the schema and data while AWS takes care of DB administration.